Knowledge Is Power


Forever a student, wanting to grow, seeking, curious, exploring this thing we call life. 

Since moving to London, I've done hundreds of classes. Learning is one of my favourite pass times. It's the experience of being with others too, togetherness. 

I started tutoring high school students when I was at university. A very corporate world followed. Last year, I discovered a charity which helps students from disadvantaged backgrounds to get a place in a top university & so six months ago, I joined them and now tutor a 15-year old boy. His mock exams are over and I feel like we have come a long way. It has made me reflect on how much more support we need to give to young people despite being in an information age with the internet and a tonne of resources now readily available. 

It's different working with adults. Earlier this year, I co-lead a 6-week Happiness Habits Course for another charity. It was somewhat magical even though we were online, because we had many moments of understanding, clarity and refreshing opportunitues for reflection. Yesterday, I had the pleasure of teaching thirteen extraordinary students in a one day creative writing class. 31 degrees in an old but beautiful heritage building without air-conditioning, but the class was marvellous. It reminded me of when my own journey started and how I knew writing would always be a part of me. 

All of this has helped with my frustrations, in how we can make a difference and help others. For a few years, I've had this sense of unease and powerlessness ...

At the heart of my beliefs is the idea knowledge is power. It is how social mobility improves. It makes our world and the human species better. It gives us purpose. That is how we nurture ourselves and improve, as well as overcome the difficulties we face. 

Knowledge isn't a magic bullet, nor provide immediate results. It is part of the solution. 

I realise I love teaching as much as I love learning and writing. In fact, teaching also means more learning and growing, instead I'm just at the front of the room. 

So I've had less time with nature, photography & social media. My sleep has also been dreadful. I've had a summer flu, & lots of other worries, but I'm grateful for sooooo many people & things. The glass is half full. The sunflowers are blooming.

Comments