Autumn: Writing, Nature and Eating


Autumn has been crazy busy. I tried to capture the magic of the colours of the leaves in  my short story which was included in the Thursday Connectors Webzine Write On

I found it challenging trying to write about childhood memories. It feels easier to create a fictional character. As a writer, I'm constantly learning more about myself and what I need to work on. Also, exploring Malaysia through my writing was fun and made me think about the food. If you've never tried an ABC dessert, I highly recommend it on a super sizzling hot day. 

Here in the UK, it will be awhile before we're back in shorts and t-shirts. There's forecasts of a white Christmas. 


I'm beginning to feel like I can wind down. As always, nature is my therapy. The squirrels make me laugh. I especially love watching them chase each other. 


The foreshore of the River Thames have been mini-holidays. When I hear the tide coming in, it reminds me of the sound of waves and beautiful beach holidays. The crunch of the stones and sinking into the sand is reminiscent of them. I feel fortunate that the swans and geese are hanging out there. There was one day when they were all stretching out their wings. I took some brilliant photographs which I look forward to sharing. 



I'm learning new skills. I can now shuck oysters after watching several youtube videos and investing in a cheap shucking knife. The homemade mignonette vinegar sauce goes well with it and it takes me back to the markets in France which I would frequent. 


The last few months I've tried to be healthier by increasing my daily servings of fruits and vegetables. Salads were great before the temperature dropped. Now it's more soups and roasted vegetables. It balances out the occasional treats of a night of chicken wings and triple cooked chips. 

Food is one of my passions. I feel like I express my creativity in the kitchen with tastes, colours and flavours. 

The weekend is here and Christmas is next week. Where did the year go? 

It's been a great Autumn of writing, nature and eating, though I expect the winter might be more of the same. 


 

Comments