Sick Days for the Soul

A day in pyjamas, sleeping, achieving little and letting my body recover may sound terribly dull. However, I discovered that  plain meals and rest actually nourishes the soul. 

It's been a long time since I've been sick: properly unable to leave home and do anything. Yet in some ways, there is a freedom in not having to be around people or do anything. 

After I passed the 'I'm dying phase' and allowed my rational side to insist my body is working properly to protect me, a strange calm came upon me. 

I caught up on some much needed sleep. I was undergoing an imposed detox. My mind felt clearer. I was looking forward to the days ahead.

Rather than rushing back to what I should be doing, I hit the pause button and escaped into what I wanted to be doing. I realised that I'm not running a race. I'm not fighting to survive. 

Here I am, still in bed, not feeling too guilty, doing what I love - writing, reflecting, learning & living.  

I've also started looking at some baking recipes for crackers, biscotti and breadsticks:

It's funny where a sick day in bed can lead you. 

Follow me on social media to find out what else I'm doing. 




E.M. Blake is the author of Dilly Dally Sally, a picture book about a duckling who is lost and won't give up. 

Instagram: @mycreativeveryday
Twitter: @EllieMBlake1
Tiktok: @mycreativeeveryday
Facebook:  m.facebook.com/DillyDallySally/ 

Goodreads: ​E.M. Blake
Pinterest: mycreativeeveryday


Comments