Photography Tips

I'm always trying to improve my photography skills. It's a hobby that takes time, practise and perseverance. 

It also involves taking my "good" camera out with me rather than just using my phone. 

A good starting point for me was taking photographs of flowers. Fyi, not windy days are better. There's also lots of people experimenting with flower photography. I studied different images and there are many who generously share their knowledge. 

I graduated to harder subjects. It helps to focus on what you love, for me, that's birds and nature's beauty. 

Last year I finally managed to take some great photographs of a fox and butterfly. When your subject is nature, it means spending hours walking, exploring and figuring out where and when you will have the opportunity to capture them. 

Check out my Instagram to see how my amateur photography skills have developed. 

My next goal is to improve my street photography. I came across this blog article which has some useful tips. 

I also came across a free online course with Michigan State University that might be worth trying. 

I still love nature photography, but I do feel like I need a new challenge. Photography is another element of my creative journey. 

My top tips for amateur photographers: 

  • Start photographing something simple and that you love
  • Look at how other photographers approach the subject
  • Practice and experiment
  • Get tips on how to take photographs, whether that might be with light, framing, textures, colours or filters. 
  • Don't be afraid to take on new challenges
  • Enjoy what you are doing and review your progress because over time you will see the difference. 

Comments