Sunday Funday in the Kitchen


It began a few weekends ago when I baked bread. I had this sense of accomplishment that I had learnt something new. The process of preparing the dough, resting it and letting it cool required patience. Most of all, it made me slow down, forget about my worries and I could look forward to eating fresh bread.  


The great thing about bread is that there are so many delicious ways of enjoying it. I haven't had french toast in years and did a semi-healthy version topped with greek yoghurt, warm banana and  roasted pineapple. I confess that I did drizzle some maple syrup on top too. 


These days can feel overwhelming because of all the uncertainty in the world. Monday to Friday can seem hectic, like the frenzy of seagulls when they are being fed. There is something about a Sunday which demands we be there for ourselves, to nourish, recharge and listen to what we really want. It is a day to indulge a little and enjoy the little things in life, like maple syrup. 

Meditation

This weekend I started trying to meditate. I say trying because I'm not sure if what I do is meditation. I guess it is, since I am sitting still for six minutes with my eyes closed, watching my thoughts drift about. 

Meditation reminds me of the sense of calm when lying on a towel at the beach. It's my escape. 

Often the conversations with myself seem like arguments, pushing and pulling, do I want this or that, what am I worried about and telling those voices to be quiet.

Meditation however is more like being a kind friend or a counselor who simply listens. I end my meditation by acknowledging what I think is important and trying to take steps to be true to myself, those thoughts and feelings. It now doesn't feel as if I am fighting any more or facing an uphill battle. 

The tail end of winter is always challenging. It has been a long period of cold and bleak. These few months, I've been on less walks and spent less time with nature. Perhaps that is why I need to meditate now. Perhaps that is why I feel unsettled and some days quite blue. 

I did manage a long walk this week. When I see the magnolia tree preparing for the change in season, I know Spring is truly almost here. That may mean I won't want Sunday to be a day in the kitchen. In a few week, we won't feel the chill when we step outside and long to be home again. 

In the Kitchen 

I love flat bread. It is suppose to be easy to make and I was planning to use this recipe. Today I'll try making it and think that it will taste especially good with some lamb shish kebabs which made it into my shopping basket this week. 


Last weekend I cooked a Sunday roast. How I love the crunch of crispy skin pork! I wanted it to be juicy, so I roasted the pork with white wine, while Chinese five spice and salt on the skin gave it lots of flavour. Spelt and quinoa made a healthy accompaniment, though I did finish them off in the oven with the pork fat and leftover wine that the pork had been roasted in. Cucumber added a freshness and crunch. Also, my new favourite accompaniment, Korean spicy red pepper sauce gave it an amazing kick. It was a little bit of gourmet, a luxury dinner that didn't have the eye watering price tag of a fine dining restaurant.  


I have been having more meat free meals, so making a roast was a treat. Yesterday was a meat free day which left me with a feeling of virtuousness, even if I had hash browns with my salad. 



The feel good factor from my kitchen experiments have helped me through the winter. Last month I made softshell crab for the first time and was so satisfied with the results. It took lots of tries with the batter. 

I learnt: 
  • A mix of corn flour and plain flour is best. 
  • I like the flavour of tumeric in my batter. 
  • Using both the yolk and white adds a more eggy taste to the batter. Next time I'll try it with just egg whites. 
  • It's important to get the oil to the right temperature and a shallow wok fry in oil can turn out pretty good. 
  • Leave it on a paper towel after frying to soak up the excess oil. 


The signs of Spring are a welcome relief, but for now, I'm enjoying walking the short distance from the my living room couch to the kitchen, exploring recipes online and maybe watching Australian Masterchef  (which I discovered is on BBC Iplayer). 

May your Sunday be a funday in the kitchen or wherever you may be. 

If you're a foodie, you may also be interested in Blinis, Brownies and Slow Cooked Gammon.

Follow me on social media to find out what else I'm doing. 




E.M. Blake is the author of Dilly Dally Sally, a picture book about a duckling who is lost and won't give up. 

Instagram: @mycreativeveryday
Twitter: @EllieMBlake1
Tiktok: @mycreativeeveryday
Facebook:  m.facebook.com/DillyDallySally/ 

Goodreads: ​E.M. Blake
Pinterest: mycreativeeveryday




Comments