Blinis, Brownies and Slow Cooked Gammon

Blinis, brownies and gammon - it's a funny mix but I'm feeling satisfied. Sometimes I binge cook. It's especially helpful since I've been so busy with work and need a timeout. 

Blinis

I've been having blinis the last couple of days. It turns out mackeral with egg is tasty. I drizzled some mignonette (a peppery vinagarette usually for oysters) on top. The creme fraiche brings it all together. I love how it's so easy. 


The blinis were wonderful with some roast pork shoulder too. 

Brownies 

Of course since I'm having a light lunch, I can indulge in a brownie slice or two, maybe more. Today I made pecan and cherry brownies with a cream cheese frosting. Add grated milk Green & Black chocolate on top. 

It's a bit of a cheat, but I use the Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie Mix plus crushed pecans, morello cherries and a tablespoon of Green & Black cocoa. An interesting tip on Instagram @sugarlogie101 which I discovered on making frosting is to mix the sugar and butter together so it doesn't become too watery. 

I was too busy eating it and forgot to take photographs. It's packed away. If I remember, I'll take a pic. 

I also just noticed this chiffon cake recipe on Instagram from @thefeedfeed and now I want to try to make it. I'm not sure I'll do matcha and adzuki, though I do love those flavours, as I can't be bothered sourcing the ingredients. Perhaps I'll do a rose and lemon flavoured chiffon cake instead. It would be lovely with some sweetened creme fraiche. 

Instagram is useful for cooking tips and ideas. Though I do end up googling because I do prefer seeing a recipe laid out on the page to see the quantities and ingredients. 

Slow Cooked Gammon

I have an unsmoked gammon in the slow cooker. I added some mustard seeds into the slow cooker too. I'll probably baste it in the oven with some honey water instead of the other glaze ingredients. Basing it on a bbc recipe, (no cola - used white wine & water, forgot the cinnamon) it will be great for picnics and as an accompaniment to salads or as a snack. I'm so into potato salad these days. 

Now that summer is around the corner, I'm thinking of doing more picnics. I can't wait! Blinis, brownies and gammon will be making it to my picnic rug as they are so simple and easy to make and eat. 

Read about how I had fun with leftovers and tried new things in the kitchen. 

Follow me on social media to find out what else I'm doing. 




E.M. Blake is the author of Dilly Dally Sally, a picture book about a duckling who is lost and won't give up. 

Instagram: @mycreativeveryday
Twitter: @EllieMBlake1
Tiktok: @mycreativeeveryday
Facebook:  m.facebook.com/DillyDallySally/ 

Goodreads: ​E.M. Blake
Pinterest: mycreativeeveryday


Comments