Rihanna Superbowl 2023 - Social Media Overview & Insights



The 2023 Superbowl half-time music performance did not disappoint and Rihanna's performance reflected our modern world, where visually stunning made for social media images came together with her massive music hits. 

The timezone difference was much easier this year since I am currently in Australia. It was 12.30pm Melbourne time, when it finally came on. 

I tuned in from 12pm. Twitter, as always was a useful tool and I checked recent posts to see that others were awaiting the show to come on and I had not missed it. When Rihanna sang Umbrella, it reminded me of New York. I always am reminded of that trip when I hear this song. It played everywhere we went. It is probably is my favourite of all her songs. ESPN has posted a video of the 2023 Umbrella performance on TikTok and at the time of writing this, three hours after it was posted, it was viewed by 2.7 million, had 296k likes, over 2k comments, 11.9k saves and more than 4.4k shares. The numbers are climbing every minute. On Instagram, ESPN's same video has 890k plays, 84k likes and 469 comments. 

It does seem like TikTok is the place to be when it comes to music, and engagement in this instance is much higher.  

Watching events like this, I always wonder what others were thinking too, and I scanned the Twitter posts just after Rihanna's performance finished. Her Diamonds rendition, which was soon posted online and accumulated thousands of likes and retweets, stood out and had such a futuristic feel. Suspension on the 15 to 60 feet above the field, on platforms above the grass, added to her iconic status. 



What struck me about this 2023 Superbowl performance was Rihanna's outfit. I absolutely loved it. As an entrepreneur and woman, Rihanna has come a long way. An E! News YouTube video shows how far she has come. 


Rihanna has posted one video on TikTok which has had 23 million views, close to 6 million likes and 80k comments. Almost 24 hours later, her TikTok video has had 26.7 million views, 6.6 million likes and 82.2k comments. She had a baby last year and it's great to see the new mum thriving on stage. Plus she's pregnant again and still able to do the Superbowl half-time show. That is amazing!  

For immediate post event reactions, I like Twitter. It is more immediate and accessible. With TikTok, YouTube and Instagram, it takes a few hours and so it depends when you are online or the medium you prefer. 

In some ways, you could say social media gauges success and interest in a product, in this case the Superbowl half-time performance and brand, Rihanna. 

I am spending more time on TikTok lately, learning the ropes and now finally feeling like I am finding my feet. Join me on TikTok @mycreativeeveryday to see some of the creative ways I am playing with stories and showing my appreciation for nature. 

If you need help with social media, get in touch. I am offering a small number of people, a free Instagram audit at the moment. Connect with me on Instagram @mycreativeeveryday

You may also be interested in:











Comments