We're All Going On Summer Holidays - Leigh On Sea & Making Muffins

I'm sitting in Sara's Tea Garden in Leigh On Sea, feeling content about summer and the cream tea in my belly. The scent of the scone when it arrived at the table made my legs weak. It might be one of the best scones I've ever had. I'm terribly pleased there's fresh strawberries in the clotted cream. I wish I could have a second pot of jam, but chastise myself as I am already being too indulgent today. 

Of course the anticipation of being at the seaside colours everything into pastel hues, and this oasis garden is safe and cosy. 

I'm reminded of the first time I visited. I sat inside and had a slice of Victoria Sponge. 

I think of Katherine Mansfield and wish I could recreate her wonder and delicious abandon of being away from home. 

But I mustn't dally. The seaside awaits. My belly is full and I'm ready to bake in the sun. 

I lay on a towel in the sand, reading a book on my phone. After I pack up, I'm wistful, wishing I could stay longer.

Icecream, two scoops - white chocolate & honeycomb and chocolate Maltese- dripping, licking, and I pass another icecrram store and a man asks if I have room for another. 

We laugh, but I don't stop, walking, licking, stopping the dripping. I'm heading to the train station. 

At home, I settle into a zoom call, a bit of television and finish my book. I've finished a whole book in a day, and can't remember the last time I did that. 

The next day I'm in holiday mode even though I'm stuck behind my desk and on calls. It's been hot all week. They say it's been the world's warmest June. The evening's breeze makes turning on the oven tolerable. 

I'm inspired by Mary Berry at Hay Festival. The itch to bake is scratched. As I type, six corn cheddar polenta muffins are cooling on a wire rack. 

I've used a combination of these two recipes:

Every year I go to Leigh On Sea. It's my little escape, my summer holiday, my home away from home treat. In the past, years ago, I would go to Italy, or somewhere on the continent, but I don't need those trips any more. It is enough - these snatched moments. I don't need to pack a suitcase, book a plane ticket or sleep in a strange bed. 

The sun is shining. I've unpacked my summer wardrobe. We're all going on holidays. It's time to forget our troubles for a little while. 

Comments